Dual Enrollment

Get ahead by earning college credit while you are a high school student. As part of the Nashville State Dual Enrollment program, students can take courses at their high school if available, on any Nashville State campus, or online.

Dual Enrollment

Dual and Joint Enrollment allows high school students to take college courses that count towards credit. Dual Enrollment awards both high school and college credit while joint enrollment awards college credit only.

Students should be aware that these courses are designed for the traditional college-age student and adults. You may be exposed to content, language, discussions, and education approaches appropriate for adults. 


  • Junior or senior in high school
  • Minimum sub-score of 19 on the ACT in Math and Reading and 18 on the English portion*
  • Prerequisites of the desired course(s) met
  • Written permission from your high school principal and parents or guardians
  • If a DE student has an unweighted cumulative HS GPA of 2.8-3.59, and also a B or higher in the subject area of the college-level course they are wanting to take, they can also have prerequisites waived, provided they have approval from their high school principal (or their designee, such as a high school counselor). 

*Continuing into the 2023-24 academic year, DE students with an unweighted cumulative GPA of 3.60 or higher will be able to have prerequisites waived for courses that require them to be at the college level in the subject areas of reading, writing, and math. The HS GPA can be used in place of ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer scores.

How to Apply

  1. Complete NSCC Admissions Application
  2. Submit the Dual Enrollment Application
  3. The only financial aid that dual enrollment students are eligible to receive is the Dual Enrollment Lottery Grant.
    1. To be eligible to receive a Dual Enrollment scholarship grant you must provide proof of U.S. citizenship/permanent residence or lawful presence when you apply for financial aid. There are many ways to verify this.
  4. If you wish to enroll full-time, in 12 or more college credit hours in the same term, you must also: Submit an immunization form.
  5. You must make a prior arrangement with your high school, an umbrella school, or the local board of education in order to receive credit toward a high school diploma. Students are responsible for obtaining verification of transfer credit to a university. 

Dual Credit 

Dual Credit allows high school students to earn college credit for their CTE high school classes by taking a Dual Credit exam (Credit by examination). 

College credit earned through the Dual Credit program may transfer to other post-secondary institutions at their discretion. It is up to you, as the student, to contact the receiving college or university to verify if the credit earned will transfer. The credit earned is not listed on a Nashville State transcript unless you have completed Dual Enrollment classes or are enrolled to attend Nashville State after high school graduation. 

For course equivalencies, view the application here. 

How to Earn Dual Credit

Early College

As part of the Better Together initiative, Nashville State and Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) have embedded three Early College programs in high schools and have a fully immersive Early College High School on the college's White Bridge campus.

Early College High School at Nashville State White Bridge Campus

Early College program at Whites Creek High School (funded by PNC Bank)

Early College program at Glencliff High School

Early College program at Cane Ridge High School

Contact the Office of High School Initiatives & Dual Enrollment

Call, email, or stop by anytime! We're here for you.


Welcome Center
2nd Floor of S-Building
White Bridge Campus


8 AM – 4:30 PM