Veterans & Military Students

Did you know that you can use your veteran's education benefits to get your education for free? Veterans and eligible dependents of veterans can apply for educational benefits from the Veterans Administration (VA). Get started today!


Use your veteran's education benefits at Nashville State.

VA Students

If you are a veteran or current service member, follow these steps to use your veteran's education benefits.

New VA Student

Continuing VA Student

Register for classes, then complete the Request for Certification. This form must be submitted each semester to the VA Coordinator.

VA Transfer Students

Register for your courses first, then turn in the required paperwork: 


If you are a dependent, follow these steps to use your veteran’s education benefits.

First-Time Dependents Education Assistance Transfer Students (CH 35)

Dependents Education Assistance Transfer Students (CH 35)

Note: In order to receive VA educational benefits, all courses taken must count towards the graduation requirements in your VA-approved program (Degree or Certificate Major). Repeated (previously passed) courses from either transfer credit or courses that are taken at Nashville State do not qualify for VA benefits. Additionally, any courses that are taken that do not count towards graduation credit in your program are excessive courses and do not qualify for VA benefits. In most cases, Remedial or Developmental courses are VA approved.

Transfer Credit for Military Service/Prior Learning Assessment

What benefits do you qualify for?

Review the various types of veteran's education benefits to determine which best applies to you.

Chapter 33 provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. 

Chapter 30 provides educational benefits for individuals entering the military service after June 30, 1985. Reservists and National Guard members should refer to Chapter 1607 (REAP). Any previous recipient of “old” G.I. Bill benefits should report them as Chapter 30. 

You must verify attendance to the VA every month to receive your monthly education benefit by phone if no changes by calling 877-823-2378 (877-VA-E-CERT) or online at the GI Bill® website on or after the 1st day of the month.

Chapter 31 is for individuals who have a compensable service-connected disability that requires training and rehabilitation services to overcome an employment handicap.

Chapter 35 is for dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently and totally disabled from service-connected causes.

Chapter 1607 is the Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve available to members of the Selected Reserve, including the National Guard.  

You must verify attendance to the VA every month to receive your monthly education benefit by phone if no changes by calling 877-823-2378 (877-VA-E-CERT) or online at the GI Bill® website on or after the 1st day of the month.

Looking for more financial aid?

VA Scholarships

Transferring VA Credits

Get your military education credits transferred for credit to Nashville State.

The VA requires all schools to have a copy of military transcripts on file.  

If you’re an Army, Navy, Marines, or Coast Guard veteran, request an official copy from the Joint Services Transcript. Create an account to request your transcript.

If you’re an Air Force veteran, request an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). 

 Send your transcripts directly to the Nashville State Records Office for evaluation and awarding of transfer credit.

Complete the appropriate form. 

The Records Office will evaluate all applicable matriculation documents for transfer credit. If military experience, education, and/or training are equivalent to a course that fulfills a general education or degree program requirement, the course credit will count toward graduation. Otherwise, appropriate course credit will be counted as elective credits. Awarded credit will shorten the length of your program accordingly. No more than 50% of the credit hours required to obtain an associate degree or certificate may be earned through military service schools. 

 Previously earned credit, whether earned from another institution or military training, must be reported to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once reported, prior credit is not required again unless new transfer credit is earned, or your degree program changes. 

If credit is not awarded through the Records Office recommendations, you can choose to apply for a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). The Records Office will notify the veteran student after their transcript is reviewed.

Veteran Benefits Answers

Inquire about the status of a pending claim through the Regional Office Claim Inquiry by phone at 888-442-4551.

Consult the Department of Veterans Affairs website for benefit pay charts.

Contact the VA Coordinator

Feel free to call, email, or stop by the office. We're here for you!


Welcome Center
2nd Floor of S-Building
White Bridge Campus


8 AM – 4:30 PM

Phone: 615-353-3211
Fax: 615-353-3302